Two questions about RA and Dec

I have both these scales on my Tal2M equatorial mount. The RA is marked 0-23. I assume this relates to 24 hours (or 23 hours 54 mins)

I have removed the OTA and the counterbalance weight (what a whopper!)

I have switched the motor on.

Am I right in assuming the RA scale should move 1 hour every hour? It currently seems to be moving about 15mins every hour. I didn’t think my polar alignment was that bad! :?

If I am right, does anyone know how to adjust these primitive looking beasties???

Is there a PC app that will list the RA and the DEC for a planet (or anything else) over the course of several hours? I could then take the listing of my intended targets into the garden and have my own (manually controlled) GOTO system depending on when I’m ready to move to the next target.

Thanks

Jon

Not sure about the mount, I've never had a motorised TAL mount but have you tried the TALscopes Yahoo user group? Plenty of knowledge about TAL there. But here's a thing, a lot of Russian mounts have their RA circle backwards so it would work properly in the southern Hemispehere but not in the Northern. Don't ask me why, they just do and I think your TAL one might be the same. Both the TAL mounts I have had have been the same and so I've never bothered using them.

Both Stellarium and Cartes du Ceil will list the RA & DEC of any given object. Both free to download and will serve your puroses.

Tony..

Not sure about the mount, I've never had a motorised TAL mount but have you tried the TALscopes Yahoo user group? Plenty of knowledge about TAL there. But here's a thing, a lot of Russian mounts have their RA circle backwards so it would work properly in the southern Hemispehere but not in the Northern. Don't ask me why, they just do and I think your TAL one might be the same. Both the TAL mounts I have had have been the same and so I've never bothered using them.

Tony..

Thanks for that Tony.

Found the Talscopes group on Yahoo. Very helpful. You are also right, the RA is labelled backwards! Something to do with Sun time??? That would have kept me guessing for months. (Another little roadblock on my path to astronomic Nirvana removed)

The motor has unfortunately given up the ghost altogether know. Have adjusted three clutch screws to no effect. Looks like I’ll be taking that apart next. I’m beginning to think the ratio of clear to cloudy skies is about right!!! No time to star gaze for me…

Jon

That's a pain about the motor Jon, you could always try contacting Beacon Hill Telescopes to see if they have any spare ones in stock should your one prove to be knackered. It seems like you've had nothing but hassle with this one but honestly, stick with it, it's a great scope!

Tony..

Archived