Skywatcher Evostar 120 with EQ3-2/EQ3-PRO/EQ5

With regard to the fracs being put down, I don't think that is true, or that when a dob is recommended that it is biased.  It is for a good reason for visual observing in many cases. Now, if I was a planet moon only man, I'd certainly consider a frac and for some other things, but as an all-rounder, while the planetary views may not be as punchy as some describe,  I would not know never having looked through a good high end frac, no doubt it would blow me away.  In the end of the day the planetary and lunar views are still there to a decent standard in an 8 inch Dob. On the other hand, the loss in aperture, the same argument does not apply. if you want an allround scope you can do a lot more DSO viewing compared with the smaller aperture frac, the loss in aperture will not make up for that. 

Before I registered and read this forum, deciding what scope to buy and I came up with the Heritage 130p, because I simply felt it was the most I was willing to pay starting out in the hobby,  and I felt it was the best allround package at that cost to maximise bang for buck, and at that cost I still believe that today.   I ruled out the frac as something I'd like to have later in my career if I liked it enough.

Ultimately I think as an allrounder instrument for visual observing the fact that a Dob  just has the best bang for buck is a bit of a no brainer IMHO. I don't think there are any vendettas, or I am a pro this scope or anti that scope on this forum when it comes down to it. Sometimes we just have a banter or joke about it, but each scope has a place in the end of the day. :smiley:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived