NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good mount for a 6" Meade LXD 75 reflector

I'm a newcomer in this community, and I hope to be able to learn and help a lot here!

Some time ago, I purchased a Meade LXD-75 OTA on a sale at a store in Los Angeles. However, budget was short, so I prioritized the scope at that time, leaving the mount for later. I couldn't afford to get everything at once.

My wife purchased an inadequate mount for it just to not having the scope lying around (an alt-azimuth Vixen for smaller scopes), and we are able to get some nice views, but the problem is that it's almost impossible to point the scope precisely. Having to move it to compensate Earth's rotation is not the issue, but it shakes a lot and it's not smooth to track objects - it always goes beyond or behind we want it to point, so I know I need a better mount - the scope is big and all steel - heavy.

What would be an adequate mount for this scope at a reasonable price? I know this is a discontinued model. Or, would it be better to get another "complete" scope?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Archived