AZ3 questions

Dear AZ3 owners

It doesn't really cover this in the manual - how do you actually attach a scope to an AZ3 mount? Skywatcher dovetails won't do it. Do the tube rings screw on directly?

Also, both axes were stiff out of the box. Like really stiff. I loosened the altitude bolt quite a bit and as long as the scope's nicely balanced, it should be hold it fine and not jerk when you move it. The Az axis however is really stiff - gritty in fact. I could just lube it up, but I have a feeling it won't eliminate the grittiness...

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, when I put my ZS110 on mine I screw the tube rings straight onto the mount. Word of warning though mate, the screws may be a little long so you may either need to get some shorter screws or use a spacer of some kind. My Vixen on the otherhand is so short, I have to use a short dovetail with tube rings and screw the dovetail onto the mount using the whitworth screw from the top of the tube rings. Crude, but it works.

Not sure about the grittiness though, sounds like it may need cleaning or something.

Tony..

Thanks Tony. I just wondered why the mount head was shaped like that. There's also two drilled holes in between. I thought maybe there was a dovetail which fits it.

I would hope a new mount doesn't need cleaning :? but maybe. When I'm home I'll investigate further.

I understand it's not uncommon for people to do quite some tweaking with these mounts...

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing bits here and there and only just finished off doing your improvements this afternoon.

Still gritty as heck in azimuth (one bit is particularly bad) though even though I was quite liberal with the lube :D

I'm pretty sure it comes from the shaft that ends in the azimuth tension adjustment bolt being quite roughly finished. Not much I can do about this I reckon.

Movement is now much smoother than before though and I'm pretty happy with the mount.

Cheers

Andrew

I think it's down to two things - the mottled finish of the mount surfaces, and imperfect drilling in the azimuth shaft bit.

I've just checked the mount and in all honesty, it seems to glide better today than yesterday. I did open it up and have a look, but didn't actually do much in there. There's still one bit which is quite gritty and requires more effort to rotate, but it's not worth moaning about really.

Cheers

Andrew

Ok,

The tightness of the fixing nut underneath the mount affects the smoothness of rotation as well, as does the lubrication between the upper surface of the washer above it and the underside of the mount head. This nut should be not too tight. Tighten it till it starts to get a little harder to turn the head, then back it off an eighth of a turn. Might help....

AM

Archived