NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lose the Skyliner finder scope all together?

Could you put a pic up please? :grin:

Happy to oblige... just snapped it now and in a bit of a rush so apologies for the quality (and fact that the scope is framed beautifully by my garage rather than a glorious vista, though pretty sure you'll agree that the photo is still of competition standard ;))

post-28925-0-87160100-1379778171_thumb.j

Hope this gives you the view you needed!

PS: yes that really is a pumpkin... don't ask :icon_rolleyes:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to oblige... just snapped it now and in a bit of a rush so apologies for the quality (and fact that the scope is framed beautifully by my garage rather than a glorious vista, though pretty sure you'll agree that the photo is still of competition standard ;))

attachicon.gifDSCF1897.JPG

Hope this gives you the view you needed!

PS: yes that really is a pumpkin... don't ask :icon_rolleyes:

Is that the AstroZap light shield? If so, are you happy with it?

May I ask what the risor blocks on your focuser do?? Or is that just how the are???

The MoonLite focuser is much lower profile than the standard SW focuser (e.g. so if you want to do imaging you just select a different draw tube length when you purchase it), so the newtonian installation kit you can see includes a number of risers that you can use (or not) to achieve focus.

Is that the AstroZap light shield? If so, are you happy with it?

Yes it is and yes, I'm very happy with it. The only trick I found was to fold the material at the bottom once to ensure the shield is taut and doesn't encroach into the light path (by default it was a tiny bit slack and so a very small amount sagged slightly, not a big deal at all).

That said, as others have pointed out you can make your own very easily and given the cost of materials, I must admit it is overpriced for what it is. But it is effective.

I was getting on well with the standard straight through finder last night. I found that keeping both eyes open whilst looking through it easily led me to the star I was after. After an hour of this tho I came to realise how uncomfortable it gets...... I do like the way you can have one eye on the sky and one in the finder scope but the awkwardness of it and the upside down image clearly suggests I should buy a right angled one, and also it seems to be a proven method by many on here.

Yes, saves a lot of neck ache! Initially I found it a bit odd not looking along the line of the scope, but soon got used to it and now much prefer it - quick alignment with the Rigel and then fine tuning with the RACI.

Archived