Nova Delphini 2013, 135mm FL

Oh no. Not another Nova image! Well, here's mine. Captured with a Canon 450d piggybacked onto my scope with a Canon 70-300mm lens set at 125mm. 10 x 120s exposures @ 800ASA.

I recall the brighter Nova Cygni 1975, which I can claim to have independently discovered as a teenager. In the pre-internet days, I didn't know of its existence, but know my stars well enough to know that was a new one. I even called up someone from the local astronomical society and gave them the co-ordinates but they couldn't see it. More likely, they thought an unknown teenager was having them on! I subsequently found out (years later) that the official times of its discovery were about the same, or even later, than mine.

Full wide field capture:

9530288174_095a8ea3a8_b.jpg

Serious crop from the above. You can clearly see the Blue Flash nebula NGC6905 as a blue blob to the upper right of the nova.

9530285662_2f976140b4_b.jpg

Archived