Synscan

ramstar

synscan is skywatchers goto mount system, the syntrek is the same mount but with the none goto handset but the same motors, you could use it as a goto by connecting a computer or by later upgrading the handset

Please, what's thedifference between Synscan and Syntrek and when would you choose one over the other?f

LeeB is right on the difference. I would choose the syntrek over the synscan if I intended to always control the mount via a computer or I already had a controller. I have the synscan version but in fact have never used the handset.

Please, what's thedifference between Synscan and Syntrek and when would you choose one over the other?f

The differences have been explained by the other posters. With regards to choosing one over the other it all depends on how you intend to do your observing. If you want a mobile setup that you can take to a dark site with the minimal equipment then the synscan handset will give you all the goto options and alignment routines without the need of using a laptop with 3rd party software. If you tend to observe from your back garden, have a laptop then a syntrek option will save you around £180. The goto function is provided by the planetarium software, and EQmod via a suitable cable between the mount and computer. Most people who end up with a permanent set up in an observatory opt for the latter.

Archived