Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200P DOB SynScan - 3 point alignment missing?

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can confirm that I might be doing something stupid with my synscan setup on a skywatcher 200p goto Dob.

I do not have the choice of 3-star alignment (and therefore my GOTO is very hit-and-miss) - I only have the option of brightest star and 2-star, I'll outline some of the things I've tried to resolve (if indeed it is a problem?)

1. flash handset with the latest (3.35) firmware - this 'claims' to support AZ mounts and EQ mounts

2. flash the handset with 3.08 (AZ version)

When I unplug the handset from the scope, the option for polar/2/3 star align is available - but vanishes once I re-attach the handset.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I'm struggling to get this GOTO to land spot on with only 2 star align (from roughly north and set at 0deg, then using canopus and spica)

...many thanks in advance!

Not totally sure but I think that 3 star alignment was not available on a fairly recent sortware version or two. They had been having reports of problems and I presume removed the option. Simply if it doesn't work then do not "offer" it to the user. I do think that the latest may have had it reinstated, but equally may be wrong. Put up a post asking this specific question of Is 3 star alignment present on the XXX software version.

Skywatcher software identifies the mount that it is on and when not attached very likely just displays all options. When the mount is identified - plugging in - then the software will determine what to offer and so 3 star vanishes.

Initial problem was I think that 3 star alignment sent the scope all over the place whereas 2 star did what it was supposed to. So removing 3 star stopped people saying it didn't work, some now complained it wasn't there even if it didn't work. and SW I guess went off and fixed it.

Which version to load, I have no idea, another question I would say.

Archived