Attach Rigel to 200mm Dobson

Hello all, do you have any suggestions where to attach the Rigel on the dobson.

Hate it to use the viewfinder especially when scoping almost overhead such as Lyra...

Do you have both viewfinder and Rigel attached same time?

Thought about attaching the Rigel mount behind the finderscope mount for space reasons but I could only use one at a time.

On my 250px I use it on the other side of the finder 'scope and just slightly behind. This allows me to use my right eye to locate the object with the QuickFinder and then by moving the head only a little I can check its position with the finder 'scope. Once there its an easy movement to the eyepiece.

Hope this helps,

Alan

It's worth noting that using Dobs near zenith is called the 'dob hole', and it is just plain awkward. I was doing this last night behind my flat, and getting M57 was ... awkward. But worth it!

Alright so played around with scope and Riegel, think it best sits between EP and Viewfinder...thats to ensure I dont strain my neck again or hurt my crown jewels on the tension grips when leaning over the scope to use viewfinder :-)

post-30988-137486444045_thumb.jpg

Wow, this Riegel finder is incredible...very easy setup. Roughtune star in finderscope, finetune through main optics and align Riegel to picture in EP.

Did some starhopping already, much easier to navigate across the skies since no magnification...what you see is what you get :-)

If it helps, I've put mine exactly between the focuser/finder but FORWARD of the focuser. It only just fits on my 200p - it butts up right against the lip of the opening but fits nonetheless and I can put the cover on the aperture without it touching it at all. It's in a very simple position to view from, and hop between the Quikfinder and the finderscope.

So handy to have - found M13 in about 5 seconds as opposed to a few minutes star-hopping with the finder alone trying to figure out which star I was pointing at!

Archived