Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

lifecam HD drivers

Ahoy!

I remember reading about an alternative driver for the Microsoft Lifecam HD that allowed 30fps at the highest res (normally limited to 15fps).

I've searched here and Googled for a bit but can't find it. Does anyone know anything about these drivers?

cheers

Right, solved this myself with an entire afternoon of rummaging. To use the MJPG codec with the Lifecam resulting in 1280x720 at 30fps I did the following (Win7)

1. download mjpg codec; got mine from here http://www.free-codecs.com/motion_jpeg_codec_download.htm

2. scan files with antivirus and spybot SD

3. install codec

4. open device manager and right click on lifecam then select Update Driver Software

5. select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

6. select 'let me pick from a list'

7. select USB video device and click next

8. restart computer

9. open sharpcap, go to 'Cameras' menu and select 'USB Video Camera' where it would normally say 'Lifecam'

10. In Sharpcap's video control panel select resolution of 1280x720

11. change 'Colour Space/Compression' to MJPG and set fps to 30

12. I was getting a lot of dropped frames but I unchecked all the 'Auto' options such as exposure and white balance and now get zero dropped frames

Hope this helps somebody!

Christoph

Archived