NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Jump Starter Over 12 Volts?

I bought a 12 volt jump starter for my Celetron 102 slt. The book says to use 12 volts. Using the plug in socket of the Celestron cable hookup to the scope, my volt meter reads it as 14 volts. When connected to the car socket it reads 12.5 volts. Each of my 12 AA batteries reads 1.5 volts each. Is it safe to run the scope over 12 volts?

Will it effect the spead of the motors? Thanks, Pat

I was told by a Celestron Tec. that anything over 12 volts (12.5 volts included) would damage the circuits then or over time. Period! Not to use the car cigarete plug-in.

Then way sell me a Celestron plug-in cord to run the motors? Makes no sense. Pat

You should be fine... a fully charged lead acid battery will be around 13.8v...

A lot of mounts actually prefer a voltage a bit higher than 12v...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

I agree with Psychobilly , at 12 volts your lead acid battery is discharged and unless the unit is of the leisure type could in fact be damaged at such a discharged state. 13.5 - 14volts would be what to expect as an output from a fully charged unit . You will find that your mount will be totally fine with this voltage tolerance .

http://www.battery2u.co.uk/car-battery

These guys are very helpful if you're still not sure. Rob

How strange! Their engineering department stated not to use anything over 13 volts. As said, This is my third scope. After being pluged in my cigarette addaper and turned on, the azmuth started moving. The hand controller displayed no responce 17. Meaning that the circuit board malfuntioned. I will have to find out if this is a problen to be concered about. That is after I receive my new cable. Pat

Archived