NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LP (nebula) filter from dark(ish) loacation.....worth it..?

stan26

Trying to weight up the options.

I need an IR cut filter to use with my full spectrum (both filters removed) 1100D, so thought I would push the boat out and get an IR cut intergrated LP filter. I'v done my research and come to the conclusion that the Hutech IDAS P2 will probably be the best option.

Now, I intend to carry on imaging from my modderately light polluted back garden, but also will be making use of my new astrotrac and venturing out into dark areas of the countryside. My question is, has anybody here used one of these filters to good effect from a dark location..? or does this completely defeat the object, and render the filter useless....and would I be better using a clear IR/UV cut filter from the darker sites...?

Any comments/experience welcome with using these types of filter.

Thanks

Stan :smiley:

Hi Stan,

I've used a mod'd 500D from what i thought were dark skies (visual LM 5.7-6.2) so i took my astronomik EOS-clip out, something i came to regret. All my frames i took that night (150+ of them) had an orange LP cast, i managed to remove most of it during processing but it would have been better with the filter.

I would still use a LP filter in the uk unless you are absolutely sure there is no light pollution - try a high iso shot for 60 seconds or so & see if the RGB components of the histogram line up - if the red one is much higher than the other's i'd use a LP filter

Gary

Hi Gary, thanks for your reply, thats kinda reassuring in a way, either way I will be getting a LP filter, its just nice to here that they still serve well at dark sites.

Thanks

Stan.

Remember a filter reduces the signal from the object of interest as well as that from the sky, so it is possible to degrade the signal-to-noise in your image by using a LP filter at a dark site!

NigelM

Archived