NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A newbie question...

thegman2

Hi all, I have searched all over the internet for information on how to see nebulae in color but cant find a good resource. The question i wanted to ask is how come i can not see nebalae in colour when i look at them? I was looking at the great Orion nebula yesterday but i saw no hint of color at all and yes i am sure it was orion :). Is this due to the tiny part of the electromagnetic spectrum that are eyes can actually see? Do i need to invest in some kind of eye pieces for my binos and telescope in order to see the color's? Thanks

Hi there,

In a nutshell, you won't see colour in nebulae using your eyes except perhaps in the the very bright, (in relative terms), Orion Nebula with a large telescope and good conditions. The reason you don't see them in colour is because they are just not bright enough for the eye to be using the colour sensitive cones, just the rods which don't detect colour.

The way to capture colour on these objects is through longer exposure photographs.

Don't let that put you off though, as the fact that you are seeing these whisps across such huge distances I find impressive in itself. I am always staggered when I think about what it is I am looking at through the eyepiece, even if it is 'just' a grey smear!

For realistic ideas of what you can see through the lens, look for sketches people have done rather than at photographs.

Clear skies :)

Your eyes have two types of light receptor. The colour ones need a certain level of light before they work. The b&w ones work at far lower levels. Hence most of what you can see at night with naked eye is shades of grey.

Lee

well thanks for the information as this helps a lot, Like i said i am still a newbie and have a lot to learn. I guess i should invest in a good camera then...

I'm not into astrophotography, and the extent of my knowledge is that it is a whole new kettle of fish. Reading 'Making Every Photon Count' seems to be the standard recommendation! Ask around on the photography sections to get those in the know about that...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Clear skies :)

Archived