Idiots step by step guide to setting up Skymax 127 Syn-Scan?

Hi, :)

I'm coming back to astronomy after 30 years away, and have invested in a Sky Watcher 127 Syn-Scan.

However I am having issues setting the scope up for 'auto Tracking', The instructions seem to contradict themselves, e.g. the pictures don't tie up with the instruction text.

Sooooo... anybody got an idiots guide to setting up for tracking that hey would be willing to share?

Many thanks in advance :)

ps: excellent forum btw :)

John

OK, I'll have a go.

Level scope

Point North

Turn on

Set time and date (u.s.format)

Set location (from Google maps)

Use degrees minutes seconds...

Choose an alignment method

Scope slews to where it thinks star is

You fine tune

Then bobs your uncle...

If you intend to not use the goto feature then I am not sure that it will work, for a synscan at least.

The scope tracks according to where it thinks it is pointing and I am not sure that slewing to a manually located target will alter the tracking that is done.

If the scope is told to goto Polaris then there is very little tracking by the motors required - it basically doesn't move.

At this stage the scope has Polaris in the data as the target.

If you then manually slew to say Betelgeuese then the tracking required is read as that for Polaris since the scope has Polaris as the target and the movement is still that of Polaris. Your slewing is not considered or taken into account.

The only way I think that it would track is if the scope were on an equitorial mount and this was the configuratiion in the setup.

Hi guys,

Sorry I should have made clear this is not the Go-To version of the Skywatcher, it is the Syn Scan Auto Tracking variant (nine button controller).

The issue I'm having is when i set the telescope to point north, I'm not sure if I should then set the latitude on the Tripod to read 51 degrees?

When set correctly the idea is I slew to target on the scope then initiate 'Tracking' of object Eg: M45 then observe, at the moment it's not tracking even in a wide-ish field of view.

I know i'm doing something silly...hey ho.....

Thankyou for your replies :)

John

Archived