NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second night success!

Following from my last thread and all of the fabulous advice I had been given, I tried again tonight.

I got out whilst still light and set the finder scope up perfectly, waited for it to get dark, then bingo! Jupiter and four moons! (it might have been five but it was quite windy so the bottom left one looked like two with the shake) I did have to fettle the finder scope a little more but that was no hassle at all. I killed time with some sunset type photography that once I have downloaded I may bore you all with, you luck people!!!!

I do have a problem with the tracking though, it did not seem to.... I'll try on a terrestrial object before calling Skywatcher for advice. The manual is very straightforward but I fear that that may be the problem (maybe I'm missing something obvious)

Skywatcher Skymax 127 with auto tracking mount (not GoTo)

has anyone else had experience with this mount and system?

but back to the nights viewing..... Jupiter looked stunning, I could see the colour variance really well. Then I turned my attention to the Orion Nebula and that was absolutely amazing! Having been viewing at over 1500 feet and with snow on the ground (Blorenge on the outskirts of the Brecon Beacons) I was more than glad of the seatwarmers in the car on the way home!!!

Tomorrow looks clear too, but an extra layer is in order before I venture out again and maybe some cardboard to stand on to prevent the onset of frostbite!

Thanks for all of the help so far....

Archived