New scope advice

So I am pretty sure that my Celestron 114LCM is not really up to what I want to use it for, so I am after some advice for what to go for next. I guess I am after a bit of an all rounder. Would like....

Observing and imaging of planets and some deep space stuff.

Connection to my DSLR (Canon 7D) and my webcam (SPC900)

I do like the idea of the GOTO as well.

Ideally not too big.

So am I going along th right lines with a Schmit Casselgrain? Something like the Celestron Nexstar 4SE or 6SE? Dont really want to go crazy on the spend.

What else is a good buy considering what I want from the scope?

OK. the magic word there is imaging.

first things first, purchase and read 'Making Every Photon Count'

To get good imaging you need an equatorial platform, solid base. Automatic tracking and a telescope.

The best entry into this arena would be an 80mm APO on a HEQ5 with tracking or goto.

you can get a corking 80mm ED apo here: http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16489&cat=270&page=1 (would need someone to attest to this things actual performance, it reads very well for its price)

I'd attempt to source a HEQ5 from Astro buy and Sell second hand and upgrade its motors to track, or buy one with tracking/goto. New can be purchased too of course:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

You'd be better off getting one second hand though to keep it within budget.

It's probably possible but most would probably advise against this, to run an 80 ED on a EQ3-2. It wouldn't give the results of a HEQ5 though.

You have the camera already so you'd need to get whatever is required to connect it to the scope.

I dont do imaging but I feel I've read enough threads to pick up the general themes to get people started. the book being the most important thing you can buy to start with, it can save you alot of money.

The Nexstars are F10, which is slow for imaging. You typically want short focal lengths to get the photons onto the camera chip as fast as possible thus giving you shorter duration shots.

Of the two nexstars, if you were set on those then there are 2 things to consider. The 5SE has a built in equatorial adjustment to its default Alt Az base, this would allow you to image without the rotation introduced by a fixed Alt Az mount.

The 6SE has a FAR sturdier mount than the 4SE and 5SE but it is fixed Alt Az so you'd need to invest in a EQ wedge to get what you want.

The usual starter build is an ED80 scope on a HEQ5, after buying the book. Buy and read the book first, it'll steer you well, everyone on here raves about it.

"Observing and imaging of planets and some deep space stuff."

This is a tough one to call cos you're asking for an all round scope that does everything and there really isn't one. Most folks have two scopes - one for imaging and one for observing. But you will need an eq mount for sure and the HEQ5 is a great choice which can be a bargain second hand.

Imaging dso's requires a low focal ratio (typically f5 or less), planets on the other hand want high focal ratios (around f10 and above) and long focal lengths. I agree a short tube wide field refractor would be good to start imaging dso's - something like an ED80 or Meg72. Bear in mind you'll also want guiding - something like an ST80 or a finder guider - a second camera - and dual mounting or piggy back facilites.

Observing is easier - aperture is what you'll need and for the HEQ5 a 200P would be a good choice - get the f-5 one with a dual speed low profile focuser with you can play with imaging as well to some degree. But the book above has to be your first choice - it'll give you a greater understanding of what's required and is a real easy read.

Prices depend on age/condition and included extras - but If you watch the adverts carefully and act quick an HEQ5 and 200P (single speed) can be had for around £500-£700 and a well kitted ED80 or Meg72 around £250-£300 all circa 12mths old. Hth :)

Archived