NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Set-up for a 6 year old.... Advice needed please!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we did well last night. found Jupiter but was just a super bright star (wrong eyepiece. duh) identified a couple of stars around it and got some beautiful clarity of the moon. just need to work out how to accesorise the 76 so we can get the best out of it for now :)

Jupiter is a great sight. Actually, it was the first object I focused on when my scope had first light. I then switched eyepieces in order to get closer. I donn't know what eyepieces you have or how many, but begin with a longer one, ie. 25mm or 20mm and then when getting the object in the centre of your scope, switch to shorter ones/narrower ones with larger magnification. This is the easiest way to find what you want to look at. Keep in mind though that the more magnification you have, the faster the objects will more through your FoV (field of vision) so getting really close, you tend to have to adjust your scope almost constantly. I got a quite large magnification when I watched Jupiter and did this. Once you get the hang of how your scope works (west and east are reversed) this shouldn't be any problem. It just takes a little while getting used to, and can be a little tricky to begin with, especially if you are trying to adject it swiftly.

As for accessories, they will fit any scope, so if you upgrade later on, you can use the same ones as with the 76. Can be good to know, although you may already know it.

Great to hear that you did well. :)

DoodleDragon: I do understand what you mean. It can be quite confusing, to say the least. As for me, I bought an accessory kit at the same time I bought the scope. It has an assortment of various eyepieces, a red/white flashlight, and some filters. Besides that I also purchased a Barlow, a Chesire collimator, and an eyepiece allowing me to use my scope for terrestial viewing too, making it double as a spyglass of sorts. I thought of getting a star chart, (I think that's the name) with the constellations on a circle which would make them easier to locate, at least to start with, but couldn't find one fitting my location. I added some recommended books a little later to familiarize myself with the stars and constellations, and getting to know more about them.

However, some things I would recommend you to get, is a red flashlight (as I think has been said before by others too), a barlow, since this change your magnification without having to buy a lot of different eyepieces. A collimator (even though I don't think this will be necessary to begin with...mine was very well collimated right out of the box, and hasn't changed since. If your scope is like that, you will hardly need a collimator.) It is a good thing to have, if you find you need to adjust your scope. As I understand, you got two eyepieces with the scope most probably 10mm and 25 mm. With a Barlow, that would be doubled. Don't bother with filters as this stage, and if you want to get another eyepiece I would suggest getting one that is somewhere between the ones you already have. Can't advice on what brand is good for you, as I don't know much about them. However, I don't think it has to be one of the really expensive high-quality ones, since your scope should be quite forgiving and yet yield good results. Others can clue you in on that, better than me though. Anyway, this is just my suggestion, as these things I reckon as essential, and if just going for a few to get you started...(yet another one ;)). Hope I don't just confuse you more...

• 5 months later...

Archived