NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Maxbright Binoviewer ghost image

rummanji

Hi All

I need an advice on Baader Maxbright Binoviewer, which I recently purchased.

Unfortunately there is a quite strong ghost image (prism reflection) in the bino, which is very irritating. For DSO and Jupiter it was tolerable, but today I got first opportunity to observe the Moon, and was very disappointed, as the observation was almost impossible. The ghost image was app. half FOV from the real image, so both were visible at the same time, and the brain just did not know on which to focus. Interestingly enough the ghost image on the left side covers only half of the FOV (from outside), whilst on the right side it covers the FOV fully.

I know that prism reflections are normal on binoviewers, but this seems to be too much.

It si not the EPs - I tried several types and the effect is more or less the same.

My scope is Skywatcher Dobson 254/1200, which is quite fast, but still I do not think it can have this effect.

Does anyone have the experience with Maxbright? Is it faulty piece or something elese? Will appreciate any advice.

Clier Skies

rummanji

Hello rummanji,

I dont have a Maxbright but I have found that with my Williams Optics Bino the critical feature is setting the proper eye pupil distance.Once set properly I dont have any ghosting at all.Might be worth a try.

Roscoe82 (newbie to the group)

Archived