Best GoTo Scope for approx £1000

Hello All,

ive for a Skywatcher Dob 150 and now I'm in the market for something a little bigger that ideally has a decent GoTo type tracker.

I don't get a huge amount of time out viewing and I want to make the most of the time I have.

interests are Planets, ideally some DSO's and would like to attach my SLR camera to learn the astrophotography.

clearly biggest bang for buck, budget can be flexible for the 'right'scope.

Thanks in advance

keith

If you can loosen up the imaging requirement a little probably a Skywatcher 200 on an HEQ5 Pro

Its a steep learning curve bit if you want biggest bang for the buck optics on a solid and dependable GoTo mount thats probably as good as it gets.

It might be ok for imaging at a basic level bu imagers usually want the biggest possible mount amd this may be on the limits for astro imaging....i cant advise on that aspect.

Visually it works well and the HeQ5 will allo you to put other scopes on the mount late on if you want to do other work.....ie imaging with a smaller frac, planetary work with a Mak etc.

It is a learning curve and a half though ..........you have been waned :)

Introducing DS imaging changes everything because you do need a big mount and you don't need a big scope. The only compromise would be an 8 inch Newt on HEQ5 but this would not grasp much more light than what you now have. Visual observing and DS imaging have opposing requirements, that's the trouble.

Olly

Archived