Centre spot on Primary?

Do I need to place a centre spot on the primary mirror of a 200p to help in collimating? Just watched a video of a laser collimator in use, and they utilise a centred spot..

Necessary or not?

Sorry if this is a bit of a basic question, but until a couple of weeks ago I had never heard of such a thing as collimation.

Quite understand the how and the why of it now, except for the spot.

Thanks for your patience with me

Frank

Hi Frank

There should already be a centre spot on your primary mirror ..... factory fitted, it will look like a small translucent circle in the centre of the main mirror. hope this helps :smiley:

Hi Frank.

Not all scopes come with a centre spot on the primary mirror as I found out with my celestron 130eq. You can centre spot it yourself. Care must be taken but hey if a noob like me can do it so can you :)

It's just a matter of removing your primary mirror and using a template to find the centre point. I myself printed a circle on transparent paper with cross sections to indicate the centre.

There are loads of information on the Internet

Frank if you require more detailed method of how to do. I believe you tube has a good clip on collimation in this method and there are good clips on cleaning your primary mirror if you happen to get it dirty like I did :(

Hope this helps :)

Scope came today, less than 23 hours from ordering.....indeed there is a centre circle already fitted. ~Thanks for the help. Got it set up and just caught the Moon and Jupiter before the clouds came over. Takes one breath away!!!

Hi Frank

Glad to hear the scope arrived and everything was ok, you should have some exceptional views from the area your in with good dark sky's ( thats when the clouds decide to go away )

In case your interested in whats involved in replacing the centre spot there are some very good videos on you tube as said, in particular have a look for one done by astroshed, who you'll find is a mine of information on all things astronomical and is a good watch as well.

Happy viewing and clear sky's

all the best Phil :laugh:

Archived