NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help setting up EQ1 mount

Hi there

i new to astronomy and need help setting up my eq1 mount with a reflector scope sky-watcher skyhawk. at the moment i sort of point it at what i want to see and pretty much winging it as i go along i also have a little motor for it so i really need to sort it out properly ive looked for it on youtube but cant find any thing that can really help me ive downloaded the manuel for it but it sort of gets a little confusing when it comes alligning polor? stuff if anyone has a good link or any other place i could on the web would be a very much needed help thanks david

As Steve said polar allignment doesn't need to be too accurate for viewing. You'll want to do the following though -

Make sure the tripod is level (spirit level)

Set the lattidude for your local area (mine is 51 degrees'ish)

Use a compass to point the front leg of the tripod North.

You need to balance your telescope on both axis too, that is covered in a number of you tube videos.

If you get all of that about right your little RA motor should just about keep the object in the centre of the screen.

This stuff all become second nature after a few times out.

Perry.

Archived