NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher Skymax 90 tripods.

Just starting out in astronomy, although had interest for years. Have been looking at a Sky-Watcher Skymax 90 and it seems to come in 3 variants, assume scope is same in all 3:

Tube only.

Table-top EQ mount.

Full size tripod EQ mount.

Question is, can I get away with the tube only? Reason I'm asking is that I would like to eventually use the scope for astro-photography so would I need an EQ mount or could I get away with a good camera tripod? Looking primarily at moon and planets.

I'm on a budget, but could stretch to any of them if it's worth the extra cash.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi There,

Though others may disagree it will not be a great scope for ap. It has a long focal length and is 'slow' and gives a narrow field of view. You could try imaging with a usb cam for planets and the moon, for which this scope is ideal for observing.Get the best mount you can afford, If you can get a copy of 'making every photon count' this will save you cash and heartache in the long run.

Cheers

Hi There,

Though others may disagree it will not be a great scope for ap. It has a long focal length and is 'slow' and gives a narrow field of view. You could try imaging with a usb cam for planets and the moon, for which this scope is ideal for observing.Get the best mount you can afford, If you can get a copy of 'making every photon count' this will save you cash and heartache in the long run.

Cheers

Am I looking at the wrong type of scope altogether? Any suggestions for the right scope for AP of moon and planets with a budget around £120? Have DSLR and compact cameras.

HI There,

It really depends on what results you are looking for. In order to get those lovely pics in sky @ night and other publications, you need a substantial mount that is guided, a god colour corrected scope and a good camera.

Have seen some extrordinary results with an st80 if you accept its limitations. I really would recommend you read making every photon count before you spend hard earned cash..

Cheers

Archived