NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is this Europa?

Dizeee

I just posted these in the "lucky image of the moon + Jupiter" thread on here,

I took my Canon Ixus camera out and pointed it at Jupiter, put it on full zoom and held it steady on a tripod resting on a fence - pretty poor image compared to most on here I know but, but I guess not bad considering it was a rushed job leaning on a fence with a standard camera? Not sure if the dot's are some of the moons, the Stellarium put Europa in the exact position that the right hand spec is on the image, but can it really be Europa that I have managed to snap with my hand held cam?

Can't wait to get a telescope, I think impatience has led to these photos that I will no doubt cringe at later on in the year ;-)

1567er9.jpg

2en4yg3.png

Hi,

I'd say it's very likely a moon of Jupiter. Maybe even the one on the left side?

I took the following pic in 2011 with my Nikon D3100 and a zoom lens, the [out of focus] moons are (in order) Callisto, Europa and Ganimede. I could often spot 2 or 3 moons through the camera's viewfinder, but capturing them steadily, even with a tripod, took a lot of attempts :p

My photos were also the result of impatience as I didn't have a telescope back then :D I waited maybe 1 year before buying one and my impatience meanwhile led me to collect any sort of fuzzy pictures of random stars, the moon, widefields, Mars, Jupiter, M42 and M31 :D :D It's good fun though.

401009_10150487344113491_235784285_n.jpg

Archived