New to this

Right as i stated in my opening page in the welcome section, i am pretty much new to all this.

With some further information passed my way i am now looking at either the Skywatcher Explorer 150p or the 150pl.

What do i want to do?? At this moment not totally sure myself really :Envy:

Firstly the most obvious will be to have a general browse around our solar system and get a feel for it and learn how to look and find my way around. Yes at a later date i would probably be looking at getting and using a motor for tracking.

I do have a DSLR a Nikon D50, nothing flash i know, but does what i require of it. So later on, yes i may want to take pictures of what i may see.

DSO's, again i would be on the learning curve of where, when and how, for viewing these, but yes i will want to be able to view these as i improvise and learn.

I have read that the 150p is the better out the two scopes for this and then also read that the 150pl can still do and return good DSO views.

Again, no doubt this will be down to the quaility and use of the correct EP, favourable weather/viewing conditions and no doubt the expertise of the user.

This brings me onto my next questions, focusers. The 150p comes with the crayford which offers the use of 1.25" or 2" EP's yet the 150pl doesnt.

If i were to buy a 150pl, would i be able to change over to a crayford and have this option of 1.25" or 2" EP's?

Would it be worth the outlay?

What would the benefit of using 2" EP's over 1.25" in the choice of scopes i am looking at buying?

Look forwards to your replies and suggestions :smiley:

Cheers,

Paul

if the choice is a 150p or a 150pl on an eq3 I would go for the 150p it's shorter length puts less stress on the mount it already has the focusser you like and it's view on dso's are nicer. 2" eyepieces are for wider views. Great for deep space not really cost effective for planetary observation

Archived