NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Raw/FITS DDP settings - help!

Hi All,

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I use a Canon 5D (Mark I) to image. I noticed that when the RAWs were loaded into Deep Sky Stacker, that they were very dim compared to what I was seeing on the rear of the camera.

So I did some digging, and found something telling me to use the correct settings in the Raw/FITS DDP setting on DSS.

Can someone give be a brief overview of where I start with these settings, and what they're for? Do they affect the final image, or do they just affect the previews of the RAWs??

I'm confused! :confused:

Cheers!

Hi,

it is normal that RAW images look dim in DSS' preview window. To adjust the brightness just for convenience without influencing the stacking process use the top right gradient-slider above the preview window.

If you increase the brightness settings in Raw/FITS DDP Options the preview will also get brighter but this setting influences the brightness for the stacking process.

I use a Nikon D3100 and the RAW preview in DSS always looks about half as dim as it looked on the camera display.

Did you already made a stack and watched the result? Just fire your stack, take the resulting Autosave.fts into Fitswork and it will look bright again.

Regards,

Michael

Archived