Purchasing a scope

Hello, I wonder if anyone can suggest a scope for me, (well my husband)

i would like to get him one, he's an absolute beginner, but would like to get in to astro photography, but first he needs a scope.

any suggestions?

budget of £250

i've been looking at a skywatchers explorer, but unsure wether this is appropriate for a beginner, star gazing and eventually photography.

my husband did mention he wanted a motorised one?

I know nothing about any of this, but just wanted to surprise him with a scope, but a good one.

so any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

thankyou

For the budget you are looking at an Alt/Az mounted scope with motors or possibly goto, problem is that this limits astrophotography to planets and there is not many of them that are applicable.

A 102 Skymax is £329, the 127 is £380

For a different approach take a look at the FLO Heritage Virturoso.

Small scope that you can view through, I think it will track - not 100% sure, and you can take the scope off and put a camera in its place. Perhaps not the standard astrophotography but an option.

Link

Problem is that astrophotography is expensive, even a budget set up would be around £700-800 at the end of the day.

Here is another suggestion that will take photo's of the moon and planets with a cheap webcam it's a little cheaper and gives slightly more pleasing views for general astronomy

http://www.firstligh...an-az-goto.html a little over your budget of 250 but less than the skymax

After he's been doing this for a while he may still wish to go down the photography route. This book is recommended by myself and many others

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

It gives a useful overview of astrophotography , tells you the sort of equipment you need and more importantly why you need it. It then goes onto show you how to shoot pics an excellent intro into astrophotography

I know he was looking at CCD camera's and very interested in deep space pictures but I think he what's to understand how it all works first. Would he need a expensive telescope for the use of a CCD camera.

Just get him the book. the stars are not going anywhere soon

Archived