My first image of Jupiter!

io1

Hi all, I posted about a week ago for advice concerning my current Skywatcher 130. It wasn't collimated properly and so me and my dad had a fiddle about with it and it's a lot better! Despite this, we've decided to upgrade to a skywatcher 200p newtonian and we're collecting next week! For christmas, my dad bought me the adaptors for my Panasonlc lumix gf3, and after a few hours of playing, I've come up with this. I took 7 pictures, cropped them and stacked them using lynkeos on my mac. What camera settings etc do people use and are there any tricks to getting a good clear photo? Thanks, Sam. Happy new year!!

jupiter low q.tiff

Sam, I wouldn't be too worried mate, I'm still dreaming of getting shots anything like that! Can't help you photography wise but I'm very envious regardless, and look at this way, things can only get better right?

Thanks everyone! I just took 7 single pictures, cropped them and stacked them, quite crude really. Considering it was a quick attempt, I'm quite pleased! When I video, I just get a blob, its too bright and its moving across my camera screen so quickly that even a short video ends up in a lot of movement. I think with the new telescope I'll get an RA drive, that should solve that!

Hi all, from messing around with my camera on the telescope, I've become really interested in this astrophotography lark - I knew I probably would! I was reading on here that quite a popular camera to use is a Canon eos 1100d. You can pick them up quite cheap off ebay, but I don't know if it's worth it. At present, I have a Panasonic lumix GF3 - its a compact system camera, not an actual DSLR, but it has a lot of the features of the DSLRs. Reading the spec of both cameras, mine looks quite similar. I'm guessing the things that matter most are exposure and shutter?

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/W-2/7731487/index.html?view=angle

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_1100D/

When I try to video jupiter, I just get a really bright object, losing all detail. How is this solved with the DSLR?

I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with the lumix for astrophotography. The new skywatcher 200p EQ5 with an RA drive and a couple of filters will be taking a large chunk of money out of the already increased budget, so if I can use the lumix, that would help a lot!

Instead of a camera, would it be wise to go down the webcam route later on? Also, I was looking at these:

http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasPlanetary.html#IMG132E

Has anyone had any experience of these and how would it compare to a DSLR/Lumix GF3.

Thanks,

Sam.

Archived