Skywatcher Explorer 130P (EQ-2)?

Ok so I posted a little while ago about what scope to get and had pretty much decided on the 200P Dobsonian, but after a little more thought I've decided it's not the one for me. After all I keep reading the best scope is the one you use the most, and I'm pretty sure the 200P wouldn't be that (I want something a bit more grab and go). So, hours of research and reading later I've got my eye on the Skywatcher Explorer 130P (EQ2). I'd love to hear from anyone that has one and if anyone has any pictures they've taken through it?

Thanks again, Jo

I have one of these, it's pretty good, I'm just getting into imaging with it so I don't have any pics to show you, but there are a few more on here with this scope and you can get some reasonable images from it. You're best to see if you can get the motors for the mount, then at least you can track your targets somewhat. I would also definitely recommend a focusing motor, the mount isn't the steadiest and tends to wobble an awful lot when focusing.

I have read that before, will get round to it sometime. I also think mine just needs a good overhaul, tighten everything and oil up moving parts, I just don't ever seem to have time to get round to it :(

Thank you cstew. The image of Jupiter looks pretty good - I'd be happy if I could produce something similar to that. Just googled it with a motor drive and the price seems pretty reasonable, I thought it would push it out of my price range! Have you managed much viewing of the planets and moon, and what kind of detail can you see? Sorry for the questions...

Always confuses me, I actually have the 130m, the 130p is a shorter focal length so is "faster", f/5 as apposed to f/6.9. The "faster" scope is a little better for imaging, meaning you will need shorter exposure times. But I'd personally go for the motorised mount, imaging with manual guiding is difficult at best!

I have viewed jupiter through my scope, using the 2x barlow and 10mm eyepieces that come as standard, and was pleasantly surprised to be able to make out bands of colour and the four moons were easily visible. The moon is fantastic through my scope, using the same eyepiece and barlow I get 180x magnification, so individual craters are easy to spot and the image is nice and detailed.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling to understand! Thanks for your advise though, I had 99% made up my mind and not hearing anything terrible about it I think I'll pop it on my wish list :) Good luck with your imaging, you'll have to keep us all updated (I'll be watching with a keen eye!) :icon_cyclops:

Archived