Stretching with stars masked...

I've never used a star mask while stretching the main image because I could never avoid a pretty crude looking result, but this time I did manage to stretch the background without stretching the stars so much. I found I could only make tiny stretches and then had to abandon the star mask for the final full stretch, but I did manage to get smaller stars in the end. (Big stars were the bane of this Bubble image first time around. I didn't feel I could put it in my best gallery but now I'm much happier with it.)

More work on star masking techniques needed, I think...

Olly

BUBBLE%20HaRGBnew-XL.jpg

Is that a reflection nebula in the top right?

Perhaps a bit of both? It's visible in Ha, certainly.

which one of the many methods did you use Olly, as i've never got a result i'm happy with

nice pic as well

I made a star selection, expanded and feathered it and then stretched the inverse. To be honest I think it's a technique that will only go so far. Those who use it with a heavy hand pay the price.

Olly

Archived