FOV, DSLR, Question.

Rob,

I use the QHY5 for guiding through the ST80. I am very happy with it, the only trick that took me a while to figure out is that when you connect the camera to PHD guiding you should set the camera gain to about 90% (you can only do this when connecting, no option to change it after you have connected). If you leave it at the default 50% then PHD struggles to pick out fainter guide stars.

You will need an extension tube to bring the QHY5 to focus on the ST80. If you look at my picture you can see I have an adjustable length tube which screws on the back of the ST80 focus tube. The QHY 5 can attach either via its supplied 1.25" nosepiece or you can unscrew the nosepiece and screw the camera on to your extension depending on what you have. I would go for a fixed length extension with screw fittings at both ends for stability for choice (picked up the adjustable one cheap but it brings another risk of flexure). A simple alternative is to use a 1.25" barlow; unscrew the barlow lens and use it as a push-fit extension.

I don't know what comes in the box with the Equinox version of the ED, but from what I read it has one of those 'foot' connectors that you can screw on to a dovetail bar or fit directly in to some types of clamp (not sure which, they look similar to the feet on WO scopes). The Equinox does not have tube rings as far as I can see so you'd either have to find more accessories to piggy-back the ST80 or go for a side-by-side mounting set up. I did look briefly at that option but I think to get a flattened Equinox and the side-by-side kit needed was going to take the cost up in to the £900-1,000 bracket.

I went for the OTA-only Evostar from FLO; they strip out a lot of the accessories to reduce the cost, but you do get the white clamshell tube rings and the short vixen dovetail (solid and well machined though). If you don't need the finder, diagonal and eyepieces in the kit then it is much cheaper (the saving nearly pays for the 0.85x flattener). If you want to use it for visual as well and don't have the other accessories then go for the full kit, if only for imaging then go for the stripped OTA version as the saving is significant.

The Orion ST80 I got came in a nice carrying bag with the black clamshell tube rings and a very short vixen dovetail; pretty cheap and just long enough to hold the rings around the scope, but has a tripod screw hole if you want to use it as a travel-scope (not super nice, but would fit in a fashionably large lady's handbag!) I suspect the box contents on this one may vary over time, but mine was bought earlier this year.

You would need a bar and some camera-bush threaded bolts to fit the ST80 to the piggy-back holes on top of the ED80 tube rings. I got the vixen bar that was exactly the right size in the box with my NEQ6, but no guarantees on that, again they seem to regularly change the box contents. It would be pretty easy to get a flat steel or aluminium bar and drill it with holes though, and I might actually change out the long vixen bar for that later.

If you dig around on here you will see some other uses of ED80/ST80 setups who have done similar things (that's basically where I got my ideas from!)

The only other thing you would want is a laptop (assume you have one?) and an USB EQMOD adaptor, which allows you to drive the NEQ6 through a planetarium. Oh and a wireless gamepad to control the scope via EQMOD (I use an XBOX 360 one, but you could use a cheaper wired or wireless one).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh got the laptop and EQMOD, had it hooked up to my EQ5 but haven't played with it too much.

Thanks for your very well detailed replies, helped me understand a lot more and I will keep you updated of my progress. No doubt you will get a message sooner or later if that is ok.

Rob.

Archived