NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter - to wavelet or not to wavelet?

HWAkeley

Working my way through piles of Sharpcap avis - there's so little opportunity, why not shoot a lot of 'rolls'?- and trying to find a best approach to processing.

The first snap was minimally processed in Registax, mainly for RGB align and a bit of no 5 wavelet then colour balance and brightness/contrast adjusted in Photoshop.

The second had all the wavelets thrown at it and ended up looking like a waffle iron so Gaussian blur got used repeatedly to clear that up. I think it shows a lot more detail though obviously still looks like it's viewed through a stocking. I think it shows GRS, the little red spot and the famous dark festoons I've read about and seen in other images

BUT

I'm concerned about introducing artefacts--the wavelet enhanced images are so far removed from the blur to be seen in the captured avi, that even though I can produce similar from other captures I wonder about authenticity?

Although the RGB align looks fine in Registax, adjusting brightness contrast and colour balance seems to introduce a red halo in a lot of images - is this overprocessed? Without that adjustment, this view from a very hazy urban sky would be washed out and blurry indeed.

Finally, I'm getting ghosting on the moons, as you can see on Io. I think this is optical rather than processing-is this reflection in the OTA?

So, please, what's the view- it's a gas (!) processing turbulence on Jupiter from a suburban backyard but is it OTT? Thanks anyone who can answer.

Joe

Celestron Nexstar 127SLT, SPC880 webcam modded, Revelation 2.5x Barlow between OTA and diagonal. Images N up, flipped horizontally.

post-23681-0-48824300-1354418212_thumb.j

post-23681-0-56313600-1354418256_thumb.j

Archived