Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to change language from German to English on Nexstar 102 SLT hand control

Not a good day to be honest,

Got my telescope a few days ago, tonight was my first outing with it. Sadly on packing up the arms on the hinges of the tray snapped in two places :(

Second, it seems I have been sent a german handset - how do I change the language options - does anyone know/have experience of this?

The word "language" does not appear in the manual, just done a quick search through the pdf.

Makes me suspect that the software installed is a German version and then it is either reflash the handset to the English version or it may not be possible to change the language.

Send a message to Celestron asking what to do: http://www.celestron...ortal/contacts/

Go to the Cloudy Nights site and ask in the Celestron section for advice.

I would say that you cannot switch languages on the handset as the handset just isn't big enough to hold all the options in it as it would have to hold the text for English, German, Spanish, French and several others. They will ahve made a German build of the handset software and installed that. Well that is my suspicision.

Edited by ronin

From the Celestron website:

The new NexStar+ hand control allows you to choose languages when it is programmed through the Celestron Firmware Manager to hand control firmware version 5.21 and greater. With this hand control and firmware, change the language by simply pressing and holding the Celestron logo as you power on your hand control. Keep pressing the button as a message "Verifying packages" displays. Release the button after it's finished displaying this message. Then the hand control will switch to a message giving you a choice of languages, scrolling through the languages one by one. To choose a language, press enter and then press enter again to confirm your choice.

For the older NexStar hand control, our latest hand control firmware versions are only available in English versions. If you attempt to upgrade a foreign language hand control to one of these versions you will get an error message from the hand control and the scope won’t be usable. If this happens, contact your distributor to have service or replacement of your hand control. You can downgrade your hand control to version 4.13 in English. However, once you do this, you can’t upgrade the hand control to any foreign language version.

• 7 years later...