Old Tasco

Just been reading a topic on the Astro Lounge re a old Tasco. If i read correct its a 114mm and he says he gets Jupiter to fill his field of view. Is this possible I have a SW150 and when i see Jupiter it looks the about 3-4mm in my EP dont get me wrong im made up with my view just wanted to know if i could increase it with some aftermarket EPs.

Mike

The older Tasco's were Japanese made and optically quite good. What let them down was the very wobbly mounts and poor eyepieces that were supplied as standard.

To get Jupiter to fill even half the field of view is going to need magnification way beyond what is feasible in even a quality scope - I'd guess it would need something like 600x or more.

My guess is that what was seen was the defocussed image of Jupiter - put a planet or star out of focus enough and it will fill most of the field of view !

Archived