NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader versus Astronomik filters - discuss

Ags

They are significantly better. If they are cheaper as well then good stuff. I have found halo issues even with my replacement Astronomik O111 and my Ha 13Nm Astronomik never gets used because the Baader 7 gives a better result. The Baader LRGB set is excellent.

Olly

Another question - baader make a 35nm Ha filter and a 7nm Ha filter... why would this make a difference - the Ha emission line fits just fine through both surely - all you would get with the 35nm filter is more LP as far as I can see (OK, also the nearby N line). So why does Baader claim the 35nm filter is 'brighter'?

Surely the point about a NB filter is contrast. You'd get more Ha through with no filter than with any Ha filter but you wouldn't get the contrast. We are more interested in what filters block than what they pass, in a sense.

The 7Nm gives far more contrast and so is far better at picking out what you are interested in. But we all know that the price for all this blocking is long exposure times and lots of them.

In an obscure discussion which I remember not understanding (one of many!) someone demonstrated that a narrower NB filter did not need longer exposures than a broad one.

Olly

In an obscure discussion which I remember not understanding (one of many!) someone demonstrated that a narrower NB filter did not need longer exposures than a broad one.

Olly

That makes sense to me...

Archived