NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

MS Lifecam VX800 or Logitech C310 for AP mod?

Aenima

I know these two aren't high on the top 10 of planetary webcams and in all likelyhood my spc880/900nc is better but picked these up for 50p and have spare parts for one mod - can anybody help me work out which would be the best cam to mod for AP?

Any input would be gratefully recieved, also if someone has seen any tutorials/how-to's related to either model could they point me in the right direction?

Regards

Aenima

Someone must have an idea if either of these are worth bothering with?

Any input would be gratefully recieved, also if someone has seen any tutorials/how-to's related to either model could they point me in the right direction?

Regards

Aenima

Annnnnd the short answer is no. NEITHER camera is worth modding. The chip in the lifecam is tiny and unless you just glue a bit of tube to the front, there is no threaded housing for the nosepiece to connect with. Quality is also questionable.

The logitech chip is slightly better and a bit of diy will allow a nosepiece thread but whether this is worth the bother is a different matter. Probably no better than the xbox mod, so gonna stick with the spc880/900nc for now.

An interesting find was a SumVision 'Panther' GX - tiny thing with metal case and the front lens literally unscrews leaving an exposed chip with the right thread for an spc-nossepiece adapter to screw back in its place, easiest mod ever!

But no, both the above cams suck sphericals. Logitech c310 being slightly less sucky.

Archived