Please help me interpret this ISS transit....

Hi all,

Basically I was checking calsky and discovered that the ISS is going to cross the Sun next weekend very close to home but I have a few questions.

The main one being is how close do I have to be to these coords to still capture the transit?

I mean this one come very close to home, the location on the map is about 3.5km away from me so will I have to go to the location or will I be able to see it from my yard?

And I suppose the second question until I can think of some more is related to the time, calsky shows the local time I believe so 11:24am is my time?(sounds obvious but I want to double check it's not UT or something).

What is the best most accurate clock I can go by?

I wouldn't think the PCs clock is that accurate but it should give me some chance if I'm working on looking 5 minutes either side.

11h42m20.77s

Crosses the disk of Sun. Separation=0.257° Position Angle=25.0°, Position angle vertex=46.9°. Transit duration=0.28s

Angular diameter=41.7" size=109.0m x 73.0m x 27.5m

Satellite at Azimuth=143.6° SE Altitude= 36.1° Distance=663.6 km

In a clock-face concept, the satellite will seem to move toward 7:26

Angular Velocity=29.0'/s

Centerline, closest point →Map: Longitude= 4°31'53"E Latitude=+50°54'51" (WGS84) Distance=3.59 km Azimuth= 25.0° NNE Path direction=114.9° ESE ground speed=7.965 km/s width=8.8 km max. duration=1.1 s

Orbit source: NASA predicted orbit

Then again this is the forecast for the weather so it may all be in vain anyway.

39.png

Hi ,

The shadow width is 8.8km for this pass so you need to be as close as you can to the centreline to give yourself a fighting chance. . . http://www.calsky.co...0231&mainbody=0

Scroll down for the map and zoom in to pick a spot.

The times indicated in the boxes are local time as far as I'm aware , it was spot on for my shot last week .

The closer you can get the closer the ISS will be to the center of the disc.

Happy hunting.

Steve.

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I haven't seen that page before.

I was going to ask about the width, what exactly does that mean? That you have a 4.4km grace either side of the line?

I can probably make it fairly close to the line but that then will most likely rule out any imaging.

Hi Jarrod ,

If you're at 4.3km you'll see the satellite just clip the limb , but if you're right on the centre line you should see it track across the centre of the disc.

The transit duration time is for a centreline pass , so this will be reduced the further off line you are .

If you can get to image it I would recommend the challenge as visually you'll be lucky to catch it , when I made my lucky capture last week I was watching the screen really carefully but still missed it by eye.

Steve.

Thanks again for the clarification. :)

That is what I was thinking but I wasn't sure, problem is my laptop is in bad need of a replacement battery so I normally run it off the mains but home is at about 3.5kms away from the centreline so I may be lucky to catch some of it. Hopefully the weather will play ball too.

The lunar one on the 28th may be an option too.

Your battery should last the duration , it crosses the disc in at longest 1.1 seconds , allowing a couple of minutes each side makes 4 mins ,

Practice setting up a few times and make a checklist and you'll be fine on the day , even if the battery only lasts 30 mins . You'll only be running SharpCap or similar .

Alternatively try and find a kindly soul with a socket spare for an hour . . . :p

Steve.

Archived