Milky way how not to do it

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The processed images look amazing Scott!

Every time I use darks with DSS I end up with no final image at all. I have much learning to do myself, unfortunately, it's not a 5 minute learning curve.

Just curious Scott, what lens are you using?

You're getting a fuller view than I am and I'm using the equivalent of a 13.5mm lens (F3.5) (18mm becomes 27 fitted to Nikon 80D with 0.5X wide angle attachment.

I also have the Milky Way directly overhead which makes it a little more awkward to get much wider views without spending money I don't have on a lens I can't afford.

My first attempts I tried using my 80-200ED lens, F2.8 and only got one or two stars, I'm learning.

The processed images look amazing Scott!

Every time I use darks with DSS I end up with no final image at all. I have much learning to do myself, unfortunately, it's not a 5 minute learning curve.

Just curious Scott, what lens are you using?

You're getting a fuller view than I am and I'm using the equivalent of a 13.5mm lens (F3.5) (18mm becomes 27 fitted to Nikon 80D with 0.5X wide angle attachment.,

I also have the Milky Way directly overhead which makes it a little more awkward to get much wider views without spending money I don't have on a lens I can't afford.

My first attempts I tried using my 80-200ED lens, F2.8 and only got one or two stars, I'm learning.

g'day leo, thanks for your kind words. i was just using the standard 18/50mm lens that came with the 1100d. the milkyway was pretty much straight over head too. think i just got lucky with the images i captured. you're right though, it is a really steep learning curve. i want to get away from wollongong while the moons out of the way but my daughter has taken the camera back to the uk. thinking seriously of buying one myself coz i'll kick myself if i don't take advantage of these beautiful aussie skies before i head back to the old dart.

Scott

Archived