NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lord of the Rings

adamsp123

Intro: Need to match up a SW 120 ED Flattener/reducer to Atik filter wheel to Atik 383 with a total Flattener to Chip distance of 55mm.

Chapter 1. The Ring to bind them all, hells-bells what a number of different sizes ot threads, M54, M48 M42 etc etc and nothing to do with Messier Catalog.

but I do have a multitude of adaptors, of course none of which will work "as is" .... see chapter 2

Chapter 2. Found the one ring except way too long, had male 54mm to fit the Wheel and 48mm female to the Flattener but..... the 48 thread only goes down a small amount so cutting down = recutting the internal 48mm thread.

Chapter 3. To the Dwarven Workshop, ie a local machine shop, yes can do for £55........ erm let me think erm bit too expensive I will leave for now.

Chapter 4. Contact FLO - can't really help try Trutek - cheers will do, Trutek you will need 4 Dwarven rings to get the right spacing, one screwing into the other...four!! cost over 50 sobs.

Chapter 5. After lots of calculations and head scratching - if I get the FLO Atik wheel 54 to 42 adaptor for a mere 16 sobs plus adding a 42 to 48 adaptor I already have, I could cut down one of my 48mm internal spacers to suit... might work... Order from FLO and adaptor arrives pronto as usual.

Chapter 6. The 48mm spacer ring is brutally hacked down in size with the Hacksaw of not Cutting Straight, I was expecting that, so lots of filing to get it right, try it out - it works...except the ring doesn't screw as far as I expected on the Flattener.. nearly 3mm out. So back to the shed to file off 3mm, now 3mm doesn't sound much but it is very tedious to do however it worked in the end.

Apendix - another bodge that worked out in the end.. but my head hurts

Thanks to all the designers that use different size threads - cheers.

The End

post-2672-0-64241200-1346531387_thumb.jp

Archived