NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 30D question

i Drew

I was just wondering if my camera (Canon 30D) can be use for astro photography or good enough. I know there are some attachment that I would need to buy but what I'm curious is that since this camera doesn't have the live view function, would i be able to see the object from the view finder of the camera? Also, should I attach it directly on OTA or on the star diagonal?

Thanks and Clear Skies!

Strangely enough, you can sometimes see more through the viewfinder if it is accessible (right angled finder, if not). Best thing to do is to get out there and try it, you never know it may be fine and live view isn't all that it is cracked up to be, in fact I have stopped using it, as it eats batteries. Seem a shame not to use the D30 as you already have the camera, it is just a matter of whether you are able to get on with it

Strangely enough, you can sometimes see more through the viewfinder if it is accessible (right angled finder, if not). Best thing to do is to get out there and try it, you never know it may be fine and live view isn't all that it is cracked up to be, in fact I have stopped using it, as it eats batteries. Seem a shame not to use the D30 as you already have the camera, it is just a matter of whether you are able to get on with it

Yeah I'll try it out when i get the Tring and adapter, I was just thinking it would be acrobatic to look through the viewfinder if the camera is attached directly on the OTA, don't know if it would work if I attach it on the diagonal then at least it wouldn't be hard to look through the viewfinder.

You need a right angled finder for that Canon - the Canon ones are hideously expensive, but there is a company over here called Ffordes

http://www.ffordes.com/search/vari%20mag who have a whole load of secondhand Olympus Vari Mag right angled finders for good prices - might be wortth contacting them by email and see if they will send to the States. I warn you that the fit is a little loose but can be made firmer with a little ingenuity, but they work great.

Archived