Next steps for widefield and DSO

Hi,

So I have the bug and I need to work out what my next steps are for widefield and DSO.

I currently have a Celestron Celestron C6 XLT on a CG5-GT mount and Canon EOS 600D with the kit lens and a F1.8 50mm.

I seem to be at a little bit of a crossroads as where to go next so any help would be appreciated. Seems like birthdays, xmas and bonuses are covered for the next couple of years. :icon_rolleyes:

1. Light pollution. Mainly from an old orangey street light at the front of my house (once the neighbours security lights go out) I guess the Astronomik Clip Filter is the best option? Any other suggestions?

2. Attaching camera to mount. I'm clueless here, can I get something to directly attach the camera to the mount or do I need to / can I somehow piggyback it on the telescope?

3. Guiding

i) PHD? / Autoguiding? I'm a bit confused about the auto guiders and even how they work. A webcam and PHD seems like the value option to me? Can you utilise any of the new wifi GoTo adapters in this setup or if not, is it webcam -> PC -> GoTo and what are the recommendations for the PC -> GoTo cable?

ii) How do I attach two scopes to my mount?

iii) ST80 vs WO ZS70. Obviously the ST80 is a fifth of the price, but I think I would only use it as a guidescope where the ZS70 looks like it might be a great little scope for imaging too? Which leads me on to...

4. AstroTrac (Holiday special) I think the SZ70 would work well with it? I'd probably also want to get something like a EF 200mm F2.8 lens as well at some point?

thanks in advance for any help and apologies for questions you've answered before I'm sure. I've had a look through the forum and other places but couldn't seem to find the info I wanted. :)

Archived