SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What eyepieces to stay away from?

SionR25

Keeping in mind that little focus should be needed changing between the BSTs, would a 5mm, giving 240x (the smallest BST) be too much magnification for the UK as I have heard 200x is the limit for the UK?

Sion

You probably won't end up using it every night, but there is certainly the occasional night where 240x is do-able. It's easier in higher apertures, so 240x is much easier in an 8 inch than a 4 inch.

See here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/152058-is-250x-too-much-for-the-uk/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, thanks for the reply. The more I keep looking the harder making a choice gets, I should just stick with something quick before I start looking at the televue range :p.

Sion

Ok, thanks for the reply. The more I keep looking the harder making a choice gets, I should just stick with something quick before I start looking at the televue range :p.

Sion

Build up to the Televue range, you can't go back once you've gone there.

Sorted now :). Ordered the TMB 6mm from Skys the limit to give me a nice 200x, and got a 12mm Celestron X-cel from FLO, heard they slightly out preform the BSTs and Orange and Black are my 2 favourite colours :p.

Thanks for the help :).

Sion

Good choices! You will use the 6mm often I think - great views of Saturn at the moment (well not right now - lightening outside here!). The 12mm X-Cel LX is very good in the 200p and worth that bit extra I think.

Archived