A Dew shield question

Ok, not sure if this has been posted before or not, so apologies if it has.

I have just purchased a flexible dew shield for my CPC1100. I wondered, when I fix it round the scope how far do I need to have it overhanging at the front? This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm not sure and will fixing it at different positions cause any problems? (dew,viewing ability or otherwise).

Apologies for being a doofer! :(

Chris

Hi Chris,

Great scope!. I had a 10" sct and used to attract dew very rapidly so well done for buying one. Mine was also the flexible type secured by velcro. It needs to be as near to the end of the ota as practical i.e without falling into field of view.

The only problem you will have is if you do not use it!! The large corrector plate attracts dew rapidly when dew is about and the last thing you need to then is to try and dry it off in the dark.

Under heavy dew conditions you will need a heater band also.

Clear Skies

Brilliant, thank you :(

So, as near as possible. I guess it will be a bit of trial and error first tiem round then, checking to make sure it's not in the field of view when I look through the eyepiece and once I've cracked it I'll know for next time.

I'll look into heater bands nearer autumn/winter time I think and see how this goes for now.

Many thanks for your prompt reply, that's really helpful :(

Chris

Hi Chris,

Trial and error the best way, though if you do get dew on the corrector please do not try and dry it with a cloth, you may ruin those lovely coatings. Use a hair dryer if bad, just simply leaving overnight inside will usually remove the dew for the next session!!.

If you are in a heavy dew area, keep your ep's in your pocket between use!.

Clear Skies

I've not had chance to use this yet, as I was also going to use it for helping to stop extra light flooding into the scope. Has anyone noticed a big difference in that respect? I have a streetlight near where I observe in the garden and it would be ideal if this stopped some of the stray light being caught :hello2:

If you are in a heavy dew area, keep your ep's in your pocket between use!.

Clear Skies

Just remember to use the lens caps! I've got a couple of dusty EP's now, with bits of pocket fluff where I can't get to 'em :hello2:

Archived