Hello. Looking for some help.

Eigen

Hello everyone,

Been lurking for quite some time, finally decided it was time join. Have a couple of questions, hope you guys can help me with.

My telescope is a Celestron 130EQ, have had it for some time, finally I have decided it is time to upgrade to new eyepieces as I will finally have some time on my hands during the summer.

I am most interested in observing Saturn and Jupiter, which love high mag from what I've read. Also general DSO, planetary and moon observation will come into play.

Let me first say that the search for a solid eyepiece is quite the task! One that has made my eyes burn late into the night.

What has been determined thus far is that I will purchase:

-2x TAL Barlow

-25mm EP (most likely Vixen NPL)

-5 or 6 mm planetary EP (likely BST or TMB clone from skysthelimit).

The scope is a 5-inch Newt 650mm f/5

Now I realize what you are all thinking, 5 or 6mm barlowed, gives 217X and !260X! magnification, which is useless in this scope...

Let me state that these values are firstly not set in stone and secondly have some reasoning behind them. I realize that even 217x is pushing it, but...

My summerhouse is located on a mountain at 1070m in the Alps, there is practically zero light pollution, in addition the house is located on the windy side of the mountain, meaning the turbulent air is on the other side. (from what I have had time to gather) There is also nothing but cold Forrest around for many miles, which also helps with the turbulence.

There is practically zero turbulence in any star, the sky is perfectly still. Basically the conditions are ideal and have been every time I have been up there in clear weather.

I do not want to spend too much, as the scope is located at the summer house and I do not get up there as much as I would like. So a decent set of good quality EP's is what I am after, I am however open to suggestions within reason. :)

My questions are as follows:

Given the conditions at my summer house, how far do you think I would be able to push the scope? I am leaning more towards 6mm myself, but would love to hear what you experienced astronomers think, given my situation?

How will the 25mm Vixen NPL fair in f5 scope? I was first considering a TMB or BST, but have learned they might not be a great match from the scope at 25mm?

I have read this forum quite extensively and the general consensus is that both the TMB and BST are great in the 5mm and 6mm focal lengths for the, which one would you say is more suited to a fast scope?

I am also considering this filter http://www.astroshop.eu/teleskop-service-universal-contrast-filter-for-all-areas-of-application-1-25---/p,11190, any hands on experience or an alternative recommendation?

If you have made it this far into this long winded post I salute you! Thanks.

Best regards,

Eigen

Archived