Eyes on the Sky: May 14 thru May 20

Last week's "Eyes on the Sky" video had a focus on some double stars in Bootes, but this constellation has more to offer this week too. Grab the binoculars, and peruse some colorful (and easier to spot) double stars again in the Herdsman this week.

Solar activity is not only increasing, but there is a partial and/or annular solar eclipse visible for much of the western part of the United States on May 20th (sorry folks "across the pond"!). That, plus the upcoming Venus transit, means that I took some time to talk a little about the eclipse, but also some time on solar viewing safety.

It wraps up with a review of where to spot the naked eye planets, so I hope you have clear and dark skies this week!

You are very welcome everyone! Glad to make them - they're a lot of fun to do, and I wind up learning something every time as well.

How are the clouds over that way?

Many thanks Dave for a very professional production. Very much liked your advice on the safety aspects of solar viewing particular on the solar eyepiece filter - still can't believe these items are still out there.

Keep up the good work and look forward to the next instalment.

James

Many thanks Dave for a very professional production. Very much liked your advice on the safety aspects of solar viewing particular on the solar eyepiece filter - still can't believe these items are still out there.

Keep up the good work and look forward to the next instalment.

James

You're welcome James, and thank you for the kind words.

I don't think anyone is currently selling the eyepiece solar filters (at least I hope not!), but I know a lot of older telescopes are still out there which came with them. That's how I was able to show that in my video - I have an 1970's era Sears 60mm refractor that had that filter in the box. I just want people to be aware not to use them in case they drag out an old scope and think those are safe.

You are very welcome everyone! Glad to make them - they're a lot of fun to do, and I wind up learning something every time as well.

How are the clouds over that way?

lets not talk about the clouds hey:D although last saturday was the best seeing i've had in my astronomical life. (4 months Haha).

Archived