Mounting Bar ?? Long or Short ??

I have the mounting bar that came with my 150p OTA and I also have the mounting bar that came with my EQ5 mount. The OTA one is longer, the EQ5 one is shorter but looks sturdier and has a notch cut out for the angled securing allen bolt.

Is there any advantage to swapping out the long original OTA mounting bar for the shorter, sturdier EQ5 one ??

(I had great fun last night playing with my new set up in doors getting used to it) All my reading is starting to make sense now I have the kit infront of me.

My feeling is that the longer bar might support the scope better and lead to less 'flexing' but this is only an issue if you are imaging. A longer bar also allows you to reposition the scope more easily (without loosening the scope rings) should you suddenly need to rebalance the scope when hanging a camera off it for instance.

Archived