NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron CG-5 GT mount for 200P f6 tube?

WakeyTiger

Hi folks,

As a few of you know, I've been looking to save money for an Eq6 mount for my 200P dobsonian tube - which (due to the extended length) would not be stable enough for imaging, on an EQ5.

Now, the Celestron CG-5 GT mounts are reported to be more stable and heavy-duty than the Skywatcher EQ5 range - would one of these be suitable for my tube, and has anyone else used one?

They are generally cheaper, and come with 'goto' for the same amount as a manual EQ6...

All advice appreciated, as ever!

Matt.

I did have the Skyliner 200P on a CG5 a while back and it wasn't exactly rock steady, still on it's limit for visual in my opinion. There really is no vast difference between the EQ5 and CG5 apart from the CG5 having 2" tripod legs and slightly better bearings in the axis of the mount. 1200mm focal length needs good, accurate tracking for imaging which an EQ5/CG5 is not going to suffice without you losing many of your exposures because of tracking errors.

I'd strongly urge you to consider a second hand HEQ5 at a minimum for that scope opposed to an EQ5 or CG5. The mount is the most important component of the imaging setup.

Thanks Carl, good advice! I'm still primarily looking at a standard EQ6 really, but will keep an eye out for a second hand HEQ5 as well... good to hear from someone who had the same setup. You rarely see socond-hand EQ6's on the market, probably for a good reason :(

Best wishes,

Matt.

You won't be disappointed if you manage to get an EQ6, the skyliner tube on it was absolutely rock solid even with an ST80 piggybacked on the top but imaging got the better of me so I decided to sell it to fund a Quattro.

Be aware that if portability is a concern the EQ6 is quite a hefty lump of kit and you may be better suited to an HEQ5? Just some food for thought.

EQ6's pop up sometimes on Astrobuysell and at times on eBay, I managed to get the standard black EQ6 for about £410 I believe on eBay a while back and just bought the Synscan upgrade separately shortly after so keep an eye out, there are deals to be had :(

Archived