computerized mount questions

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how long should it take befor i can image saturn well ? i struggle to even pick it up at the moment ....

How long is a length of string !!!!!!!!!

Are you meaning with your current equipment or if you have a grand or two to trow at some equipment ?

Best advice (in addition to everything I've already said ) is to become familiar with the basic constellations and planets, practice locating them in your current scope and then when you have the cash and feel that you have outgrown the DOB then move up to something bigger

Agree 100%

Charlie, you're trying to run before you can walk. You're expecting to get decent planetary and DSO images from a 130P dobsonian telescope in a light poluted town, and at very little expence.

To get decent planetary images, the entry level is a decent webcam such as the Phillips SCP 880 (flashed to a 900) - however these are now in short supply and equal the price of the Celestron NexImage 1 camera (which is nasically the same camera but with modded firmware). But you need a scope with a long focal length and large aperture to bring out the planetary detail. When you increase the focal length, the field of view decreases and then the stability of the mount comes into the equation, as does keeping the target in the field of vew long enough to gather data.

Ok there are exceptions to every rule, but generally most people who have ventured into imaging would agree that an EQ mount is essential, and driven in RA as the minimum requirement. The minimum size mount I know if where members have managed to get the sort of results you are hoping for is the EQ3 pro goto with an SW 150P - around the £500 mark. OK you could use a different scope on the same mount, but then you need to think about the weight the mount can carry and how stable it will be when all the camera's are bolted on. More so when using a dSLR to get long exposures required to capture faint DSO's

I'm not trying to poor cold water on your asperations, but what you are after is challenging with a guide scope driven 200P on an HEQ5, let alone a small 130 dob.

Archived