dob observatory

I have a 16" truss dobson as well as a 10" at home. If I want to do some observing, I naturally bring out the big fella and set him up on the grass - some years ago I put down a one metre diameter brick surface to keep the dob from sitting directly on the green stuff....my question to all you brainiacs out there:D is this: although I have seen loads of designs for observatories on the interwbeby thingy, there is very few practical solution for Large Dobsons. I did read here once, someone suggest raising the dob up to clear the walls of standard designs? but this of course, raising the height of the eyepiece? ....or is a shed that rolls off the scope the only practical solution at the end of the preverbial day:confused:

Some good ideas there but....most if not all are designed with equitorial mounts in mind. I suppose a roll off shed is the only solution, except (coming left of field) an anti-aircraft carriage system :D replace the barrell with the OTA and put a cab on it......agh dreams,...reality, as Father Ted tried to explain.

The other burning issue is of course heating or de-humidifing the thing. I would be nervous of leaving a large mirror in what after all is a garden shed??

Archived