complete novice needs advice!

greyknight

Hi all, Hope you're all well.

Ok I ended up with the astromaster 130 eq again as I'd kind of gotten used to it and there was a budget issue too to be fair (I'm skint basically!) so I'm back where I started and I'm not upset to be honest. As a complete newbie, how do I tell if it's collimated? I have a book with a diagram that says if I take the lens out I should be able to see my eye in the centre. Well I can so is that it? I thought it was more complicated than that I'm so glad it's not!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi greyknight,

The star test is the easiest way.

I always do one of these during my polar alignment. Once you have Polaris in view switch to your highest magnification, you 10mm assuming the scope comes with the same as mine and you have not got others. Once in focus, very slightly de-focus. You should get what is known as airy disks (rings).

Airy disk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Telescope Equations: Resolving Power

Now you will never get perfect rings but they should be roughly circular. If they look all wrong, then your scope may need some adjustment.

I will now refer you to a thread I started last year which details my experience.

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/149395-i-think-i-need-collimate-my-astromaster-130eq.html

It is a bit daunting messing about with the mirrors but worth it.

dag123

Hi all. First (reasonably) clear night tonight since I got the telescope out I went and checked out he moon. Wow. The telescope was better than I'd hoped, so clear and close it was amazing. I have a x 2 Barlow on order, can't wait to try it out. Brilliant,

Hi Greyknight you have had an extremely good response to your inquiries and I am pleased you are delighted with your scope. should you, however, want to come back with additional questions, might I suggest that posting in the Beginners Help and Advise section, which does attract a big cross section of our community, would be a much better place to ask for advice, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Archived