Using live view to auto guide

Hi All. This is my first post so please by gentle! I am keen to get into astrophotography and I was wondering whether you can autoguide using a DSLR piggybacked on a Skywatcher 150PDS. The reason I ask is that I own 2 good Canon DSLRs and have been able to use a piece of software called extrawebcam to use one of them as a webcam under windows. This has allowed me to see liveview via PHD. I am in the process of buying some kit to get me started and obviously want to keep the cost down (where possible!) I should also say that I have an Eq5 mount with twin motors (and replacement legs) and have ordered the 150PDS tonight. Any advice is much appreciated. Cheers

Hello,

I have asked the same question to be told by many others that you need long exposure of between 2 - 4 seconds due to seeing conditions. So I have just ordered a QHY5 camera from Modern Astronomy.

Hope this helps,

Kev.

Thanks for the responses guys. In terms of live view, once you have the camera connected to a laptop, live view runs and runs. I want to try this setup before buying a dedicated guiding camera if it will save me some money!

I am surprised that no one has tried this.

Archived